Project Update - July 2014
Next Steps - Landowner Engagement
As outlined at the recent open days, over the coming weeks, we will be contacting landowners on both the underground and overhead options with a view to progressing EirGrid’s analysis of both, in line with the terms of reference set by the Government-appointed Independent Expert Panel.
We have now published two dedicated landowner information brochures; detailing the steps required in the development of an overhead line and/or construction of an underground cable. These brochures will be issued to relevant landowners as part of the next phase in the project, which will see work progress on both the underground and overhead options in parallel.
- The Landowner Brochure - overhead option outlines EirGrid's approach to landowner engagement and the methods employed in constructing an overhead line route through agricultural land, should this be the option chosen for the Grid West project.
- The Landowner Brochure - underground option explains the steps required in constructing an underground cable and the efforts that will be taken to minimise potential environmental impact and traffic disruption, should this be the option chosen for the Grid West project. An underground cable will only cross private lands where it is required to cross existing infrastructure, such as rivers and railway crossings.
Project Update - July 2014
The Grid West team recently completed a series of five open days, from 7th-11th July, where we presented the work done to date on the emerging preferred underground option (underground option) and on proposed localised changes to the overhead route corridor. This is the fifth round of open days we have held, brining the total number to 27. The project team would like to thank everyone who has been in contact with us and provided feedback on the project.
Your feedback is important, if you were unable to attend the open days, please be assured that there are a number of channels through which you can contact the team and provide your feedback:
Telephone: LoCall 1890 940 802
Visit: Grid West Information Centres in:
- Ballina, Bury Central, Bury Street, Ballina, Co. Mayo (open Monday and Tuesday – 10am to 6pm – except bank holidays).
- Ballaghaderreen, The Square, Ballaghaderreen, Co. Roscommon (open Wednesday and Thursday – 10am to 6pm).
- Castlebar, Linenhall Street, Castlebar Co. Mayo (by appointment – call 1890 940 802).
Over the coming weeks, we will be contacting landowners on both the underground and overhead line route options with a view to progressing EirGrid’s analysis of both options in line with the terms of reference set by the Panel. We hope to present our analysis to the panel later this year, and they have indicated that they hope to be in a position to provide an opinion on this analysis in January 2015. Following this a further round of public consultation will take place early next year.
Links to activity updates earlier this year, and previous years project activity are given below.